Is There Mold In My House?
There are a number of ways to know that you have mold in your house. Many people notice a musty smell, but most often, people will be alerted by health issues. Mold allergies, for instance, cause the same reactions as other upper respiratory allergies. Symptoms include stuffy/runny nose, cough, sneezing, itchy throat, nose, and eyes, and postnasal drip. Mold can also trigger asthma symptoms and – in some cases – a severe asthma attack. Symptoms vary, however. Risks tend to be greatest amongst seniors, children, people with respiratory conditions, and those with compromised immune systems. Symptoms of a toxic reaction include fatigue, difficulty concentrating, dizziness, nervousness, headaches, difficulty breathing, eye and skin irritation, and flu-like symptoms.
How to Prevent Mold
Any amount of moisture can lead to a mold problem. According to indoor air quality expert Ken Hellevang of North Dakota State University, mold will grow on wet materials within as little as 24 hours. That’s why it’s necessary to be vigilant in checking for leaks. And don’t neglect the attic! It’s one of the most common places for mold growth because leaks often go undetected for long periods.
Also, ensure that the soil around your house slopes away from the house and that downspouts are pointed away from the house. Otherwise, water will drain into your basement, causing mold to grow on the backs of sheetrock walls. Also keep an eye out for flooding, sump pump failure, soap scum in showers, condensation on windows, firewood stored indoors, venting clothes dryer exhaust indoors, , line drying clothes indoors, humidifier use, and a poorly ventilated attic.
If you suspect you have mold in your home, contact the Idaho disaster cleanup experts.